CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, May 23, 2011

Project: Basement Bathroom

You may remember this post from last year. And then this post from February. I wanted to include some pictures of the process of finishing a bathroom. It was no small undertaking.
After we got all the framing the next step was hanging the sheet rock. That was no small feat, but much easier than taping...which we came to learn.

We got the kids involved and let them help where ever they could, and when they wanted. I think this was the only day Mason showed any interest in helping. After we would cut the sheet rock, he would hit it and laugh when the extra piece fell. It was so fun to watch him work with his Dad. He even got his hands on the drill and thoroughly loved the sound and the spinning of the bit.
Emma got into the mess when she got home from school and had some fun screwing the screws in place.
ALL of the kids wanted to help tape, and we let them a bit, which is why I have no pictures of this. It took all 4 hands Shawn and I have to keep the mud on the wall and not on the floor. I really wish I had taken pictures of Paige. She wanted to help so badly, but when we let her, she ended up covered. It was great.
After the taping and the texture was done (which seem to take forever), Shawn tiled the floor. About this same time I started my bout of morning sickness, so I don't have any pictures, which again, I wish I did. He did an awesome job. We got the primer out and started painting. Before we get the tub surround put in, we needed to have the wall painted so the glue stuck better.
I believe it was the day after we got the blue paint up that Shawn called me and said he goofed up in the bathroom. We didn't keep the drain pipe available to hook up to the sink. So Shawn took a guess as where is was in the wall, and was dead on. He couldn't have guessed any closer.
We installed the toilet, and vanity, then waiting for the tub surround to be installed.
After the tub surround was installed, came the bath faucet and shower head. We learned that you should plumb the pipes exactly as the faucet box tells you.
We got the bathroom decor up. The shelf and towel rack was made by Shawn's brother for this bathroom.
Can we just say, we're glad its done. Now we have to start working on Potty training Paige.
All we have to do now, finish the rest of the basement. Our goal, is to have the hall and guest bedroom finished before December when our new little one will join the family. My craft room is last on the list, we'll see how long it takes to finish completely.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow!! It looks so great and professional. Congrats!

Damon, nikki, madelynn, sadie said...

Did you have to hire out the plumbing? We have a unfinished bathroom, but we are not sure if we can do the plumbing part ourselves?

Heather said...

Shawn did all the plumbing. He studied up online, asked loads of questions and then went at it. We took advantage of knowing people who work in new home construction and got lots of advice from them too. We hired out the tub surround, and the heating /cooling work. Shawn did the rest

Nikki Peterson said...

Yeah your pregnant. So excited for you. And the bathroom looks great. Miss you all so much.