CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, August 31, 2009

Mason's Journey Begins

This is the time of my babies lives that I should have them at home. They will spend 13 years going to school and being away from home, so I wish that they could be home with me until Kindergarten starts. My time with them is rudely interrupted. Mason started back to school today! He was SO excited. While waiting for the bus he kept say "School bus, where are you?" When the school bus got here he was so excited. He gets picked up at 8:10am and comes home at 11:20am. His school is 5 blocks from our house, and we could walk, but Emma will be starting Preschool also and her preschool is across town. We will have to drive and she starts at 8:30 also. Plus, Mason loves the bus.
First Day of School 2009



He actually choose this car seat. I am sure he did because it is pink ;D.

I have actually been thinking about this post for about a month now. We took Mason to a new Pediatrician a few weeks ago. I scheduled it during Shawn's lunch break so he could be there with us. (Or more for me) The intention for this appointment was to start the diagnoses process to figure out what it is Mason is facing and how best we can help him. We have known this was coming. It doesn't make it any easier. I couldn't rationalize any longer that Mason just needed speech therapy and he will get better. There were too many other things that speech isn't the only concern anymore. Things like empty lost eyes, spinning circles, inability to function when there is nothing to set in motion a tantrum. Sometimes, when you look at him, you can tell he is not with you. Pulling him out of that, is usually seeming impossible, but we do it.
I knew going into this Dr. appointment that we were going to hear things like Autism, Autism-like, maybe even Aspergers. I was right. His Dr. diagnosed him with Autism. We had to do a A DOS test, but his is pretty sure that it is Autism. We took the test, Shawn and I were both there. The results came back as Autism. I wasn't shocked. I was shocked at all the information that we were given in the few minutes we talked after the diagnoses. Our Doctor made it very clear to us that we can put forth everything we have to help Mason, but that we still have 2 other children to take care of, and we still have a marriage to keep healthy. He gave us some referrals to a therapy called The P.L.A.Y. project. The best thing about this therapy is it is done here, in our home by me. You can go here to learn more about this, if you are interested. I am also looking into doing some speech therapy aside from what he gets at school at the BYU Speech and Language Department. I have checked out a few books at the library and am reading all I can to get a good upper hand at what Mason really needs. When I read about something I really pay attention to what my heart is telling me. Some things, I know we need to do. Others, I feel I need to look more into it, and then there are times I know that it is not for Mason. When we started here, I didn't know where we were going. Now that I know where we are, I am starting to map out what it is I want and what Mason needs. If you have any useful information that may help, I am open to ideas.

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Stillman and Michelle said...

Your doing great. I have seen some remarkable changes in children older than Mason. The key is early intervention. Every case is different. Mason is way better off than my cousin with autism. (He also has OCD and Brain Damage.) I use to work for a company called Advocates For Inclusion here in Idah, even with their simple program I have seen Autistic children improve. I will keep my eyes open for any helps. I know it's hard, Try to remember that whatever experiences Mason doesn't get in this life, He will be blessed with in the next life. Love and Hugs
Michelle

Jesse said...

Heather- you are amazing. Mason is so lucky to have you as his mommy. I know you will do the right things for him. Sending you a big hug!

Amber said...

Because my mom is a first grade teacher, she sees kids with Autism every year. She has made it a point to attend extra educational classes and get additional certifications regarding Autism and Aspergers. She is a wealth of knowledge and I am sure you could bounce any questions you have off her. She has at least 1 Autistic child in her classroom each year and it is amazing to see her in action with them.

Knowing you, Mason could not have been born into a better home while facing this here on earth. And always remember to keep hoping. They are leaps and bounds from where they were years ago and research is continuing daily. Good luck and you are in your prayers!~

Campbells said...

I commend you for being open minded and activly trying to learn more and help him. It seems some parents in this situation pretend its not really there. You are doing a great job, and just remember that Heavenly Father is there for you and he will guide you to the revelation you and Mason will both need.