CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, August 1, 2008

A Request Per Shawn:

Shawn has requested that I blog about some of the cakes I have made in the three years I have been decorating. Here is a taste of my work. Hope it doesn't make you cake hungry... than again maybe it will!
The first of two Cakes for Emma's 3rd Birthday
The second Birthday Cake for Emma's 3rd Birthday
Another Year down the drain!
Flowers! Another little girls birthday cake
The class final tiered cake. It was covered in fondant, with fondant leaves and flowers.
Emma calls this "The Old MacDonald Had a Farm Cake". I made it 2 years ago for the Latah County Fair. Due to the hills in this region, I didn't get past our road before the barn fell over going down the hill. I learned what to do the next time I have this cake to transport. I am sure it would have won 1st place though:)
There is a story behind this, but I'm not going to go into details.
I have stenciled a lot of different requests, the beaver, a cat reading a book, an RV. Lots of different things to test my ability.
A Traditional Basket weave
The Baby Shower Cake
Happy Birthday Smilie Face Cake:

The smilie faces are white Chocolate colored yellow, with black icing piped in place. Yummy addition for a child's birthday party.

Then of course, don't forget the other cakes I have posted here since December.

7 comments:

ChrisandTamara said...

Wow! You are so talented! Very artistic and creative. How long have you been decorating? Where did you take your classes? I've never tried anything so complicated as some of those. Very cool! Did you come up with the ideas all your own? You might consider teaching a class someday yourself. Oh - another question - do you make your own fondant? I've only made one fondant cake and that was in class. A little clown cake. I couldn't stand the taste so I've never made any since. But I understand homemade fondant tastes better than store bought. So fun to talk about cakes - maybe I should blog some of mine too.

ChrisandTamara said...

Oh wow - just went and looked the Winder Wedding cake. So beautiful! Definitely one of the most beautiful wedding cakes I've ever seen! Elegant and classy. How do you get your frosting so smooth? I have trouble with that.

Unknown said...

AWESOME!!! That is a major talent - so creative! I would've been heartbroken when the barn fell over... you are awesome!!! :-)

OH, and Tamara - Yes! Blog your cakes, too! :-)

Heather said...

Tamara,
I haven't used fondant much, but I have a few recipes I am going to try. I also don't think that it tastes good, so that is why I am trying some homemade. To smooth the cakes, I use the paper towel technique~ VIVA paper towels, smoothed by hand after about 5-10 min of air drying. If you try a small spot and it is sticking to the towel, it hasn't crusted over enough, wait longer.
I get some ideas on line, and some Ideas I put together from all different sorces. It sometimes is a challenge to come up with new cakes.
Glad you enjoyed them.

Stillman and Michelle said...

Maybe you already know this technique. I learned it in a pottery class. but if you take a cold/wet spoon you can make it look smooth. Like I should be giving you guys tips on cakes. I love both of your cakes!

Jesse said...

Really nice work. Your fondant is lovely, and I thought the toilet plunger cake is a fun idea!

Camille said...

Look at you being all crafty and clever! MY MIL does this professionally, so I'm not even going to attempt it. Gimmee a boxed cake with some frosting anyday :)