What's in a resolution? Every year people make New Year's resolutions, and a lot of the time, they fall short and the resolution goes by the way side. At least for me, that is usually how my resolutions go. The last few weeks though, I've been thinking about so changes I need to make for me and what ones I need to make now, and what ones I can work on as I get a chance. My to do list can be overwhelming and very long if I let it, but I have learned that over loading yourself with changes you want to make is not a very healthy or helpful thing to do and that usually doing so makes it so you get nothing accomplished.
This being said, I set a goal to blog at least 2x a week. I need to return to posting my Thankful Thursday post. This post helps me think of things I am thankful for and to see better my blessings, something I need a little bit more of now. My other post will be about something that happened during the week that needs to be recorded. 2011 wasn't a good blogging year for me, and I have felt sad at all the wonderful things my kids did that I never recorded. Those memories are lost not. I don't want another year that is lost of memories cause I didn't take the time to write them down anywhere.
My big goal that I am committed to is to take more time caring, loving, listening and doing things with my children. As a mother of young children it is so easy to get caught up in the "to do list" that the other important things get set aside. There have been so many times that my kids have asked for help and my first response is "I'm busy, wait till I'm done". When I then ask them to help me, I expect help now, not when they are done doing what they are doing. It's a learned behavior from me that drives me crazy and I know that it must drive them crazy also. We are going to work on living in the moment of childhood this year. All too fast are my kids going to grow up and I am going to be left wondering where the time went. I don't want to wish I would have taken more time to do things with them. I also want to feel like I know they know I love them because I take time to be with them and care about them. There are some struggles I have with each child, and I need to show more compassion to them and in doing so, I believe that I those struggles will diminish.
My last goal is one I decided today that I need, but it also involves Shawn. Our goal this year is to read from The Book of Mormon together everyday, this whole year. This means that there may be some over the phone reading but I know that we will be blessed and the spirit will be stronger in our lives if we read together. This year is going to challenge us in many ways. During Sunday school today, I had the impression that if we do this, the challenges will be made light and more manageable.
These are my New Years Resolutions, and I wrote them down so that I will do them. What are your resolutions and what did you do to make you accountable to do them? Happy 2012!

No comments:
Post a Comment