CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, October 18, 2010

Harvest Season

I feel like I have had a hard time keeping up with our "family journal" lately. Maybe because we have been busy with the harvest of our garden. This is the first year we had a garden, and I didn't take any "garden harvest" pictures, so I don't have anything to show what it looked like as it gave us all our veggies.

We had to get a few new things to help us, or to store all the produce that our garden so diligently grew for us. We got a food saver to help us in preserving our corn mainly, but also our beans came on for one or two bags at a time to freeze, but not enough to can a bunch of bottles.

We also ran out of room in our freezer, as we were placing all the yummy produce in the freezer. So we got a great deal and got ourselves a new freezer. We now have a meat freezer, and a veggies, bread and whatever freezer.
We didn't get a new dehydrator, but this baby has been running almost non stop for a few months. We have dehydrated summer squash, zucchini and a few other things. We bottled the dried squash and sealed the bottles with the food processor. It has been a blessing.


I still have pumpkins to process. I am going to freeze pumpkin puree, as it is not safe to bottle, or I would do that. I am also going to make some pumpkin pie filling, pumpkin butter and maybe a few batches of pumpkin muffins to give to friends. We'll see what else I decide to make.

We have butternut squash, onions, summer squash, zucchini and watermelon still fresh to cook when we need it. There is nothing better than having fresh produce, but it also makes it so we don't plan any trips, vacations or camping during August, September or October.

We planted 8 plants of Broccoli and cauliflower, and we got 2 heads of good broccoli. The other plants just didn't do anything. The broccoli we got, was seeds we planted so next year we won't be buying starts at the nursery, we'll be planting seeds.
Here is a days load home from the garden in early September. Thanks to a few friends and neighbors who took the zucchini and summer squash, only a few actually went bad. It was normal for several weeks to have a bag or 2 every other day. We'll plant less of this next year.

We planted some cantaloupe to see what would happen, and we got some of the juiciest, delicious cantaloupe I've every had.

Shawn and I spent evenings on end working on corn. I was so GRATEFUL for all his happy help. We did about 20 dozen ears of corn or so. We ate a few dozen, and gave away a few dozen. All in all, we had A LOT of corn.

Sometimes it seemed as if it would never end, but thankfully, everything come to an end at some point. The corn stalks, well, a few of them are now on our front porch. We may plant less corn next year. I think this year was over kill.

We grew a row of carrots, peas and green beans. We were able to freeze carrots and beans, but the peas, well, the kids were sure they were candy and we only got one bag in the freezer, but we ate it already. I have cubed zucchini and summer squash and froze them on a pan then put them in the food saver bags. I think it will help them to not be too squishy.


At the Vet clinic they have a peach tree, no one wanted to peaches to can, so we got 2 or 3 boxes to put up. We did 3 batches of peach jam, and 36 quarts. I want to get another box of peaches and do at least 24 more quarts. We love peaches and always run out.
We grew cucumbers and made pickles. We have a few different kinds, thanks to Shawn who did all the pickles. They are good tasting pickles too. I got adventurous and made some sweet zucchini relish. I have yet to open them and see how it tastes. I have gotten 12 pints of salsa made, and we are still waiting to see if the tomatoes ripen before the frost gets them. We have tomato hedges, with lots of green tomatoes, we just need them to ripen and then I'll be working on tomato sauce for the next week.

All in all, this has been a good experience. Remembering back to when I was younger, I hated everything about a garden. I think it is a different experience now that I am older and I am a mom. Every mom wants to give her kids a verity of fresh fruit and veggies. This is an awesome way to do that at a great price.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

how fun love it! You have done an awesome job! Thanks for all of the yummy veggies we have received.

Stillman and Michelle said...

I think you need to teach me how to garden. We never got anything like that amount of food from ours. Maybe enough for one meal.