I have found myself struggling lately, trying to know what it is Mason needs. He was considered "graduated" last August from the Early Learning, Speech Therapy services and was using words to tell us what he wanted. Within a few weeks however, he started regressing. Because I am not a speech specialist, was 9 months pregnant and somewhat optimistic, I didn't do anything about it. "Maybe it is just a faze he is going through" I thought. But, after coming back from Nampa, and really watching him, I realized that he just was getting worse. It breaks my heart to know this little guy understands the words we use, but he doesn't know how to say them. Mid January Sue at Early Learning Services called just to check up on him, and I unloaded all my concerns on her. She said that she would get someone out to the house that week to start a new e-val on him. "A great," I thought, "not this all over again"! This time has been better. The reenlisting him into the program went quickly. He has started showing some progress, after seeing the speech therapist only 2 times.
This last Saturday was a beautiful day. We all went outside and played for a while. When the mail came, Emma and I went to get the mail. There was a flier for the book of the month club we are members of. Mason loves those. He sat down in the yard and when through it 3 times.
"D O R A" he said as he saw the Dora book. He also pointed out Buzz from Toy Story, Arthur, Cookie Monster and Elmo. He said all these names and did a good job.
Mason can be found anywhere, at anytime looking at books. He is intrigued by anything with pictures. We sure wish him luck as her starts on this journey again of learning to talk. I will keep progress updates here as he grows and learns.
Yesterday, for the first time ever, he said his name. It was so exciting to hear. He also said "Backpack", which is also a new word we haven't heard before.


3 comments:
that is cute. and, i'm jealous that you have green grass...
I am sure you have thought of this but I had to mention it. Have they checked his hearing? My brother was having the same problem with his speach. They finally had an ear nose and throat specialist check him. He got eartubes and his speach improved a ton.
You know we are soooo in the same position with Aidan...our poor little guys! Aidan is making some progress in saying more words, but he isn't very understandable to many people. We can't do anything about it until he's three, though, because the system here takes 2 months to get into, and by then, he'll be 3 and at that age, speech gets turned over to the school system. If I make any progress, I'll let you know and will welcome any tips you have!
Post a Comment