CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, January 30, 2009

It won't be like this for long!

Wednesday afternoon I was driving to Moscow to take Emma to Walmart to get herself The Little Mermaid polly pocket. The kids were in their seats talking to themselves as normal. I am usually listening to the Classical music station in the car, which brings up the conversation between Emma and I about what instrument is being played. It can be a fun guessing game. For some reason, I felt like I should change the station over to the Country Station. I like country music in most forms, but not all of it is good, especially for little ears. The stations was starting to play a song from Darius Rucker called "It won't be like this for long". I think that the spirit spoke to me to change the station cause this song, in many ways, hit home to me, right to the heart. I added to my play list as #1, so take a moment to listen to it if you haven't already heard it.
Many times I get flustered trying to get my kids to be good. I get upset when things take much more time than they should. When Emma is being creative and using her imagination, she usually makes a horrible mess and I have a constant war in my head about disciplining her, but then if I do, and I smashing her imagination? For example: The scene- We are eating lunch and she is throwing bread on the floor. "Emma, what are you doing?" "Feeding the chipmunks Mom" came the reply. "There are not chipmunks in the house, stop throwing food on the floor".
This scenario has replayed at different times though out the day for about a week now. The animals are always different, mice, rabbits (which we have out side as pests) deer, penguins, horses, dogs... you name it. This child of mine is obsessed with animals of every form. I am sure she gets it from her Dad, but what do I do.
Back to the song.... I realized while I was listening, It won't be like this for long. She won't always be throwing food on my floor to feed the imaginary animals in our house. She won't always be innocent. She will grow up before I know it and I will be wishing that I had just enjoyed her a little more.
Mason, well, Mason doesn't talk. He was getting better, then he stopped all together. I don't know how many times I have told myself that he isn't going to start Kindergarten and not know how to talk. It will come. He will get it. I have so much frustration due to his inability to communicate. I feel like so many people judge me, even though, it isn't my fault. But it won't be like this for long. He is a wonderful little boy, and I was reminded to just enjoy him as he is, and help him to learn, but not to push him for what he isn't ready for. He will talk, he will learn to dress himself, he will grow up, and I will want him small again.
Paige is a great night time sleeper. We have some bumps in the road every once in a while with changes etc. but who doesn't? There are days thought, that I feel like everything I do with her is wrong. I just don't get what it is she is trying so hard to tell me. She doesn't want to eat, she isn't wet, she won't sleep, I keep burping her...nothing comes out and yet she is still crying. I would claim colic, but there is not consistent. It is hit and miss days and there isn't really any pattern. The the song came on and made me realize, before I know it, she'll be talking up a storm and I won't get in a word edge wise. She is only my baby for so long, and that is that. She has grown faster it seems to me. I try so hard to just enjoy her, but I need to do better.

I have not had the lyric of a song hit me like the lyric of this song did. I need to be better in just enjoying the journey. So, since I don't have a New Years Resolution... (cause I don't believe in setting them at the start of the new year, or waiting for the new year to change) this year, I am going to try harder to just enjoy life, and remember It won't be like this for long when things start getting hard.

3 comments:

Amber said...

I too love, love, love that song for all of the same reasons. One of my girlfriends heard it on the radio when it first came out and called me sobbing. She said I had to go listen to it online because the lyrics were spot on with where we were in our lives. It is amazing how something so simple as a beautiful song can remind us of what's important in life! Thanks for sharing!

ChrisandTamara said...

Great song. I've never heard that one before.

Campbells said...

Great song! I agree every now and than it just hits me too that one day my house will be clean all the time and I will miss the mess....as well as a million other things that go along with having a young family. By the way, that's cute about feeding the animals