CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Day 3 Philipsburg, St. Maarten

Philipsburg is a busy place when the ships come in. Lucky or unlucky for us, our ship was the only ship there. As we got off the ship, we had our little photo opp with one of the photographers as a sailor.
 A lot of the vendors and sales people are kind of push and anxious to get us to buy.  
We bought an unlimited water taxi pass to take us across the bay to town. I found the port here slightly abnormal as much of the shopping area is pretty far from the port.
 Talk about white sandy beaches and turquoise water! It was supreme! We walked around town and found a cute little chocolate shop, which we bought some chocolate, but were both a bit disappointed. It was ok.  We then found a cafe that had some fresh fruit smoothies. They were delicious. Well work the wait to find the cafe. The lady there was super kind and very cute. We then went walking around to see if we could find some binoculars. We found a shop where the owner seem honest and had pretty good prices for the Caribbean. We found a little high powered pair of binoculars that will be used in many more places than just here.  After grabbing quick bites to eat, we ran back to the ship, changed and took off on our day excursion. 
  We went out with a few professional scuba divers who taught us, well Shawn, how to snuba. Snuba is a cross between snorkeling and scuba diving. To Snuba you are weighed down with a belt of weights according to your weight to help you sink, cause with out extra weight, you float. You are then outfitted with your flippers, and you oxygen line which is attached to a tank floating on a small raft above you. The oxygen line is 20' long and that is as far down as you go. This is were we we're snorkeling, snuba diving.
 There are a lot of different groups who come here to dive because there are a lot of underwater things to see. We were told to look for a helicopter and a walking area near it that has oxygen lines for those on the underwater tour.  
 The group we were with was split into two groups. We did some snorkeling first while the other group did some snuba diving.  I had some trouble with my snorkel as it kept letting water in somewhere even when it was well above water. The constant rock of the ocean made me a bit sick and after I switched out my snorkel, I started feeling worse. I only snorkeled and sat of the boat for a while while Shawn had a bunch of fun. It was a bummer that I didn't feel well. I will definitely do something different next time to prevent the ill feelings.








After the we were done diving and we started back on our boat ride to shore it started raining. Considering we were all wet, I found it funny that everyone on our excursion ran for cover when we got to shore. We cleaned up and went to dinner. We had a wonderful group of people we ate with and it was really fun to talk to them about their day excursions. I don't remember what I ate that night, but the desert was really good with amazing presentation. 
After we were done with dinner, we went back to our room. The evenings theme was 50/60's Rock n' Roll and there wasn't anything going on on board that we felt we were up to. We took a vacation, but we were almost busier on vacation alone with out kids than we are when we're home. There was a lot of drunks in the evening and I think getting my sleep was better than watching drunk people do inappropriate things.
This little guy welcomed us back to our stateroom at the end of a tiring day.

No comments: