CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, August 26, 2011

1st Day

Now that the first full week of school is almost gone, I am finally getting to this. Emma and Mason are both in school for full days now. We start our mornings at 6:30 am when Shawn and I get up. I try to get dressed and do something with my hair before I wake Mason up at 6:45. As he is waking up, I make our bed. By then, Mason is mostly ready to get out of bed. We get him dressed, fed and backpack all ready for the day and at 7:20 we wake up the girls for morning prayers. Mason's bus comes bright and early at 7:30. He is so happy to see his bus.
The first day, it zoomed right past the house and I spent the day trying to make sure they were bringing him home, per his request.
We took pictures of the kids before we left the house to get our big day going. Shawn had the day off, so he got to tag along for first day happiness!
Emma's first day outfit. She's so excited to be a first grader!
Mason was so excited, I couldn't get him to hold still while getting a picture of him. All day kindergarten, here I come!
And Paige just couldn't be left out. She didn't really want to go to school, but she was really excited for the painting she would get to do while the others were at school.

Mason is attending a cluster unit at a school not here in Payson. The classroom is made up of Kindergarten, 1st and 2nd graders who have developmental delays. The units goal is to help them work into a typical classroom setting and work on things that couldn't be worked on in a typical classroom. His teacher is so cute and full of energy. He is going to love her, and have her wrapped on his fingers.
Mason was super excited to be at school and didn't really want to take any pictures. He was the first kids there on Monday, and so he took himself to the book shelves and started reading while waiting for his classmates to show up. By Monday evening, you could tell the early morning, long school day and not being use to his schedule was wearing on him. Now that it's Friday, he's getting use to it and functioning better.
Last night we had back to school night at his school. I took him to talk to his teacher, get his school shirt and talk to the speech therapist. As we drove into the parking lot, he started wining and crying. Then he matter of fact stated, "You not take me to school! My bus take me to school." Guess he put me in my place. We're glad he likes his bus.

After we got Mason off to school we drove across town back to Payson and get Emma to her school just before the warning bell rang. She was so excited for her first day of school she was out of bed at 6:40. She packed her lunch all by herself. She has been so excited to take her own lunch to school. This year at Emma's school there are 6 first grade classes. Much bigger than last year, and more classes per grade than the rest of the school. Her teacher is very nice and I am sure she and Emma will be good for each other.

Emma has been able to ride her bike, ride her scooter, walk and get a car ride to or from school this week. There are a lot of kids who are in our neighborhood that she rides to and from school by herself. I know she is still small, but the school is close and it gives her a sense of being trusted. Knowing that there are a lot of kids taking the same path home, makes me feel like she's not really on her own. She's having fun learning. Thursday they even had 3 practice fire drills she told me all about.