CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, June 6, 2010

A New Calling


A couple of weeks ago, we got a call and were asked to meet with the Bishop Sunday afternoon. We dropped the kids off at a friends house and headed to the church. I don't know about you, but up to this point in my life, I have never been asked to meet with the Bishop. One of his counselors, yes. The Bishop, no! I was pretty nervous, excited, curious...gee, I think I was a little bit of everything. Shawn was so nonchalant that I was sure the calling was for me and not him. The Bishop even asked me if I had been feeling like change was coming. My reply, "Not until we got the call that you wanted to meet with us." Now, for those of you, who don't share my faith, a Bishop is like a pastor, but volunteers to serve in this capacity because they were asked. He receives revelation over our ward, (a congregation that is made up by your location) and gets to preside over the happenings of the ward.
We talked a while, I found out that in trying to get to know us better, he read my blog. He is one of my contacts on facebook and found our blog that way, and so that told be to be careful what I put on my blog. (Not that I didn't already know that.) And so on and on, after much prayer and confirmation, he extended to me the call to serve as the wards Primary President. I am over all the kids in the ward 18 months to 11 years old.
I then was given the task to figure out who should serve with my as my counselors. After a day of fasting, an evening at the temple, a lot of prayers sent heaven ward, the three names I needed came. Not just their names though, but also their faces. I got back in touch with our Bishop and gave him the names. I explained how each of these sisters came to my thoughts. One, I wasn't even sure that I knew her name and had to look it up. He laughed a bit, told me to take a few more days and get back to him. Really, I was sure that I would question myself, or have the feeling like I need to go back and try again, but I didn't. I felt peace and then decided that I should pray that these ladies, would be willing to serve the children of our ward with me.
Today, we were put in as the Primary Presidency and we got to see on the kids in the ward. I know quite a few of them. I don't know a lot of them. I have some hesitation, anxiety, fear, doubt, excitement and joy as I start this new call in my life. I have felt Heavenly Father bring peace to me as I start feeling like I can't do this, for with Him, all things are possible.
My family is wonderful. Shawn is so supportive and encouraging. I know that my kids will be blessed from my service and I know that there are blessings that come from serving Heavenly Father. I pray that I may be open to receive any inspiration I need to fulfill this call and bring the spirit to Primary each week.

2 comments:

Nikki Peterson said...

Well guess what I got a new calling today too. Funny how we were talking about that the other night. Not nearly as big as yours. Achievement Day Leader. All my sisters said to me was you know the Lord knows what you need,to bond with your daughter. I know their right but it still scares me to work with these beautiful daughters of God. By the way I know you will do an amazing job as the Primary President. Talk to you soon.

Heather said...

I was the Activity Days leader before I got this call. LOL :)