CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, June 29, 2008

A trip the the ER

Emma had been fighting a cold for a while, but earlier this week, she started showing some new problems. Her voice tone changed, she started snoring when she was sleeping, her appetite dropped off the face of the earth, and she kept saying she was tired. She also had an off and on rash what would appear and go away with a dose of Benadryl. I didn't see any red light signs that she needed to see the Dr, cause all I am going to be told is get her plenty of rest, drink lots of fluids and maybe take some Tylenol. So I just keep watching her.

Saturday afternoon, Shawn finally got her to open her mouth and all we saw were swollen tonsils. It was nap time, so she took a nap, and when she got up, Shawn looked at them again (I think that he likes to play Dr.). This time when he looked they were more swollen and her air way was very small. She said she didn't have troubles breathing, so we called the on call Doctor and he told us to take her to the ER. It was close to dinner time, and she won't eat dinner anyway, so I asked what snacks she wanted to take, "grapes and water Mommy" came the reply. So we were on our way. One of Emma's friends Daddy works at the check in desk at the ER, so Emma was somewhat happy to see him. After check in we were sitting in the waiting room, and Emma was eating her grapes, she said "I am ready to go home now". I told her that she needed to see the Dr. before we could go home. She was fascinated with the bed, asked me what EVERYTHING in the room was. They swabbed her throat for strep, she said it tickled her. The test came back negative, but lucky for Emma, she is on a antibiotic for the next 8 days. She was hoping for blue medicine, but got pink, strawberry flavored instead.
She was so good. The Dr. and the nurse was surprised at how well she did, they gave her some Dora stickers, and a blue teddy bear. This wasn't so much of an Emergency as it felt more like training on my behalf for an Emergency. Glad to know she is going to get better.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Whew! Glad she doesn't officially have strep - that's really miserable. Hope she's all back to normal soon! :-)

Stillman and Michelle said...

Oh good! My Doctor said that kids won't usually get strep untill they are about 5-6 yrs old. I didn't know that, I was worried my kiddies had it a while ago but nope.

Jenn said...

WAY too much adventure! Now Karina and Emma can be ER buddies...both in the same week! I hope she's feeling a lot better soon!