CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, June 30, 2008

Celebrating the 4th, so our kids understand why!

In getting ready for Family Home Evening, this Monday before Independence Day, I decided that I wanted to help my kids know why we celebrate the day and how they should respect the flag. I found a useful website that have links for all sorts of things you may be looking for. I hope we all take the time to teach our children the importance of Independence.
Here is a link, and another link.
Interesting fact about Fireworks:

In the USA
America's earliest settlers brought
their enthusiasm for fireworks to the
United States. Fireworks and black ash were used to celebrate important
events long before the
American Revolutionary
War
. The very first
celebration of
Independence Day was in 1777, six years before
Americans knew whether the new nation would survive the war; fireworks were a
part of all festivities. In 1789,
George Washington's inauguration was also accompanied
by a fireworks display. This early fascination with their noise and color
continues today.
In 2004,
Disneyland in Anaheim, California, started using aerial fireworks
launched with
compressed air rather than gunpowder, the first time that such a launch
system was used commercially. The display shell explodes in the air using an
electronic timer. The advantages of compressed air launch are a reduction in
fumes, and much greater accuracy in height and timing.

Thanks to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fireworks for the information!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is SOOOO important! What a neat FHE, and great job teaching your kiddos what's important! :-)

Tamara Robertson Turner said...

Heather, How can I get your mailing address? I have a wedding invitation to send you! -Tamara