CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

The Importance of Mothers

My ward tonight had an Enrichment night for the Sisters! I was deeply touched by the spirit as the program for the evening took place. How grateful I am for the Mother's throughout time. We never really think about who Joseph's mother was, and what an important part she played in his life preparing him to be the earthly father of the Savior. How did she teach him about the Savior? What was their family like? As you think of the gentle hands he had, you know that he learned how to be gentle by the example of his parents. I thought about Mary's mother. What would it have been like to have your daughter come to you and share with you the news that you were carrying the Christ Child. What did her mother teach her, that gave her the strength to say
"Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word." (St. Luke 1:38)

What faith and strength she must have had. I only hope that I can instill the same faith in my Children that Mary learned from her parents. This Christmas Season, my prayer is that I will help my Children know the Christ, their Savior. I pray that they have a small understanding of what Christmas really is. I am so grateful for the wonderful examples of Mothers through out time. Wonderful mothers that we can't read about, we don't know of their trials, but we see through their Children they kind of Mother they were. I never really thought about the family life that Mary or Joseph had, until tonight. Until the Spirit whispered to me that just like them, I can be something great if I believe!
It is my prayer that we may all come to a point in life where we say "Be it unto me according to thy word"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Absolutely in agreement about mothers' importance - it really makes me conscious of what I'm teaching our kiddo, in all sorts of ways. "Gentle" is a big thing, and some days are better than others, but it's amazing how much he learns! (Kind of spooky, too, but it also gives me hope that I'll have more influence than the rest of the world...)