CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, August 12, 2013

Day 6: Bridgetown, Barbados

We arrived in Barbados around 8 am but we didn't even wake up till 10:35. Breakfast is served till 11am in the cafe so we ran up to breakfast and had brunch. We left the cafe after lunch had started so we also got ourselves some ice cream cones. We got off the ship, and missed the photo opp so we did our own.
 We hired a personal taxi to take us around the Island. The taxi driver was The Fat Man Taxi. We chuckled at the name cause in the states, you'd never call someone, the fat man.  Here, it's a compliment. The winds were blowing here all day, but nothing worse than Wyoming winds. The grasses were so lush and green. There are a few Sugar Cane fields that were growing, so we finally saw some growing sugar cane.
 He then drove us up to St. John's parish church. He named all the churches and religions he could, but didn't name or talk about the LDS church. I wish I would have brought a Book of Mormon. I would have given him one.



 The view from the back side of the church was AMAZING! It over looked the South Atlantic Ocean. The Fat man told us that they use this beach for surfing competitions a lot because of the Atlantic winds that blow and bring in the good size waves. He talked about a big competition that took place here, but I don't remember what year that was.
There were beautiful landscaping all around the cemetery in the back of the church also that included all the tropical flowered trees. I wished I could take some of these flowers to Wyoming and they would live.



 We got back in the taxi and the fat man drove us to an old sugar plantation that is now used as a museum of sorts where they also serve brunch, dinner and have gatherings. I assume that weddings take place here also due to the landscaping on the side of the property.
 On the side of the house were 2 of these trees. It's like many trunks grown together. 
 The beaches in Barbados were white sand and blue/turquoise water. It was heavenly.

 The driver stopped at Brownes Beach and we played in the ocean for the last time for about an hour.
Do you know how hard it is to get a good underwater picture where you're face isn't blown up from holding your breath? Here is our several last attempts.









 I got out to sit on the beach at the same time the sun decided to take a vacation. I did enjoy taking some pictures of Shawn playing in the water.

Weather was moving in and we felt it a good time to head back and do some last minute souvenir shopping for the kids. 
 This band welcomed us back to the ship and they were really fun to listen to. I took a video of them playing so the kids could hear the sound of the instruments. 
 I also thought that the getting out to ocean tonight would be interesting, there was another ship in front of us, so they pushed out side ways, then backed into another port area on the other side of the ship then pulled out to sea. My camera ran out of battery so I didn't get many pictures.

After today, we have 1 more day at sea. Then we're on the last leg of our vacation, to home.

1 comment:

Amy said...

So pretty!!! I love those flower pictures.