CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Oregon Canning

A family in our ward had an abundance of pears on their tree and told anyone who wanted some to come and get them. This was the first year I canned pears, and I thought it was a lot more work than I wanted to do. I had already done 40 lbs of peaches and they were a lot less work that the pears. These pears are yummy though.
Due to having an applesauce eating baby we went through our supply of applesauce we made last year and had to do more this year. We got some gala apples and combined those with some yellow/green delicious apples. I learned that gala's don't make good applesauce because they take forever to get soft (they are naturally hard) when you cook them and then because of their natural crisp state they don't puree down to what I like my sauce to look like. I guess you have to experience different apples to know what ones not only taste the best, but puree the best also.

\


Paige helped me puree the first batch and enjoyed standing on the counter. She learned pretty quick that she needed to be careful when pushing the apple in the mill as the juices squirt out and they are hot.


Shawn, Carter and Emma even got to get into the mess and they all enjoyed the process of making applesauce.  We got 26 bottles plus a bowl full of sauce we didn't have enough to make another batch in the canner. We are set, at least with fruit, for the next year.

No comments: