This was the first car Shawn and I bought together. We bought it shortly after we got engaged, the middle of April 2003, so I would have a car to get to and from work. Shawn did all the work on this car, it hardly ever saw the mechanic because he did almost all the work.
I drove this mostly all of my pregnancy with Emma. Shawn drove it to school the 4 years he was in Vet school. He drove it all over the northwest interviewing for jobs when he was getting ready to graduate. Then he drove in to and from work for the first 2 1/2 years after school. When he got laid off from his job, he drove it all over the northwest again interviewing for a new job. It was a reliable car. Shawn's new job includes a newer Ford Ranger extended cab with a vet box.
When he accepted the job, he approached me and asked how I felt about selling the car before we moved so we wouldn't have to move a second car. I figured we would put it up for sale, and if we didn't sell it, we'd take it with us. I didn't expect it to sell quickly.
Fast forward a week. February 6 Shawn listed the car on KSL.com in the classifieds asking for 1200.00. It had 250,000 miles on it. It leaked oil and sometimes smelled like it was going to catch on fire... not a selling point. The inside door handle was broken and the outside was starting to rust away. I didn't think it would sell quickly. Shawn listed it right before he left work. Before he got home, he had a call and they wanted to come see it that night. I didn't think it would sell quickly, I WAS WRONG. They drove it. Shawn told them what was wrong with it. THEY BOUGHT IT for our asking price... no negotiating.
I was in shock. They let Shawn drive it to work on the 7th and then came with cash to pick it up that night.
We piled our whole family in our little trusty car, and took a drive around the neighborhood. We started our family in this car. When we got it, it was just the two of us, getting married. When we sold it, we had 4 kids, we lived in 5 different homes, 3 different states and had finished Shawn's schooling. There was and still is a lot of sentimental feelings attached to our 1991 Honda Accord.
The kids preferred this car to the van any day. We had a hard time telling Emma we sold it, and she cried.
When they drove off with it, Emma asked why they were taking Dad's car, and we just had to tell her, it isn't Dad's car anymore. It's their car. We hope that it is as good of a car for them, as it was to us.

No comments:
Post a Comment