CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Labor Day 2007

2 years ago I got up the nerve to take the kids to Portland, Oregon, by my self. (kinda) My parents were going to Portland to spend some time with my Grandparents, and I felt it would be a good trip, but I had two obstacles before I could go. 1. I had to find a safe inexpensive place to stay, and 2. I had to do it alone. I don't remember why Shawn couldn't come, but he was able to put in the new carpet in the kids room while we were gone. There was a sweet family who live in my Grandparents ward boundaries who opened their home to us and let us stay with them. They were the sweetest people.
There are were many highlights to this trip, but I will just share four, cause I have too many pictures to share more.
1. We spent some time with my Grandparents which is always a treasure. Emma saw them when she was younger, but she was little and didn't get to know them. This was the first time since Mason's baby blessing that they saw him also. I can't find a picture of all of us, so I can't share.
2. We spent a whole day in Seaside Oregon, on the Oregon Coast. This is where Shawn and I spent our honeymoon when we got married. I was so excited to take the kids to the beach for their first time ever. I wondered what their reaction would be (The Oregon Coast doesn't have the warm water like Florida) and I was so happy to see the excitement in them as we got closer.

Small talk about water and Beach Safety

Mom and Emma walking on the Beach together

Now it's Mason's turn! The ocean is such a big thing to a little guy and he was a bit sluggish to get in the water.


The kids footprints in the sand

Watching the waves hit out feet

Walking out in the waves

"Man I love this place!"


Digging in the sand

Rolling in the sand
Mason spent most of his time doing this.


Pouring sand over a feather Emma found

Emma and Mason playing in the sand together

Beautiful Oregon Coast (although Florida is more beautiful and warmer)


2. We went to the Portland Oregon LDS Temple. Shawn and I were married for time and eternity there, I wanted to kids to get to go to the temple that we have hanging in our home. Emma loved seeing the temple. Mason enjoyed walking around and watching the fountains and looking in the reflection pool.
Portland Oregon Temple

Mom, Mason and Emma

Mason toddling around the grounds near the fountain


Mason watching the fountain, he was mesmerized!

Emma standing at the entrance. It was a Monday and the temple was closed.

Emma and Mason sitting at the reflection pool

3. When I was growing up my Dad worked as a mechanic for the transit company Tri-Met in Portland. I took the bus everywhere, and occasionally we rode Max, the transit train. Since moving away from the Portland area in 1994 they have expanded Max to service a larger area. One of those areas is the area I grew up in. I took the kids to ride "the train" and we had fun. They loved it. Even to this day, Emma comments on that experience.
Tri-Met's Max transit commuter

All aboard, riding on Max
It was a fast weekend, but every thing I wanted to do for the kids, we were able to do. We drove by my old house, school and church so the kids could see where I grew up. It would have been the best vacation ever if Shawn would have been able to come with us. We were happy to get home to him and the kids loved the new carpet in their room that he put in. We hope to get to the coast as a family some time soon.

1 comment:

Faith Eshelman said...

Sounds like a blast! You've made me homesick for the beach, too. :) Part of my childhood, 2-13 years old, I grew up in Northern California.